For regular visits to the museum, the gallery does not require a guide. However, if you would like to schedule a tour with a guide, we are happy to book tours for school, adult, scout, home school and other groups.
The museum offers guided tours of the museum, the county courthouse, and downtown Green River. We look forward to seeing you at the museum!
Our three tours, outlined below, can be tailored to a specific area of interest. Maximum capacity for each tour is approximately 25 people. For school groups, we generally do a combination of the following tours to accommodate large numbers.
- Museum Tour: The museum gallery contains artifacts, pictures, and information pertaining to the history of Sweetwater County, from the prehistoric era through recent history. From a dinosaur footprint to a full size coal car, there’s plenty see and experience in the museum gallery.
- Courthouse Tour: The Sweetwater County Courthouse is on the next block from the museum and within easy walking distance. The courthouse tour explores the history of Sweetwater County and the courthouse, as well as the modern operations of county government.
- Downtown Tour: The museum is located in the Green River Downtown Historic district and the original town site. Just blocks from historic hotel, mercantile, saloon, and railroad buildings, this downtown walking tour will take you back in time. Remember to hold on to your hat as we ascend the ramp to the rail yard viaduct and watch the trains run under your feet!
Please call 307-872-6435 to arrange a tour. For large groups, it is advisable that you call at least two weeks in advance of your desired tour date. Please have the following information ready when you call:
- Number of participants
- Age group
- Special requests (railroad history, mining history, etc.)
- Special needs
* Please note that tours are available in English only.