SEARCH EXTENDED -- EXHIBITS TECHNICIAN/PREPARATOR
Sweetwater County Historical Museum
Green River, Wyoming
The Sweetwater County Historical Museum in Green River, Wyoming, is seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Exhibits Technician/Preparator. The incumbent will participate in the development and production of interpretive exhibits in the Museum and at offsite venues across the county. Sweetwater County is located in the scenic sagebrush steppe of the Intermountain West, bordering on Colorado and Utah to the south.
The Exhibits Technician/Preparator participates in all aspects of exhibits development and production, including planning, budgeting, scheduling, researching, writing, designing, fabricating and installing. This position also assists with exhibits maintenance and cleaning, gallery tours, historical research, interpretive programming, special events, educational outreach, collections care and other duties as assigned.
- Collaborate with Director/Curator in developing budgets and schedules for exhibits
- Collaborate with Director/Curator in planning, researching, writing for and designing exhibits
- Collaborate with Director/Curator in specifying and ordering materials for exhibits
- Produce and install exhibits according to design specifications
- Clean and perform maintenance on all exhibits, both on-site and remote
- Lead gallery tours and participate in public programming
- Operate hand tools and power equipment; maintain clean, safe, stocked and functional production shop
- Drive vehicles to transport exhibits materials to/from warehouse and suppliers
- Handle collections, including transfer to/from storage, documentation, mount-making and installation
- Lift or carry exhibit objects and properties weighing up to 50 pounds
- Move and position objects weighing hundreds of pounds
- Ascend, descend and work from ladders when installing, maintaining, or removing exhibits and lighting
- High school diploma or equivalent; post-secondary degree preferred
- At least one year’s experience in museum exhibits design and fabrication
- Competency in computer hardware and software, including Adobe Creative Suite
- Proficiency in the safe operation of hand tools and power equipment
- Familiarity with a broad range of materials and methods used in exhibits production
- Experience in painting and finishing a variety of materials
- Valid driver’s license
- Bachelor’s Degree in art, design, architecture, museum studies or related field OR degree/certificate in building trades
- Expertise in exhibit design and/or graphic design
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite and computer-aided design
- Proficiency in art framing, matting and installation
- Proficiency in large-format printing and mounting graphics
- Knowledge of artifact handling techniques and mount making
- Experience in researching and writing interpretive text for exhibits
- Knowledge of local, regional or western cultural and natural history
- Proficiency in carpentry and/or cabinet making
- Proficiency in acrylic fabrication and installation
This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits (health, dental, and vision insurance; state retirement contributions; paid sick and vacation days). The starting salary for this position is $35,000 - $40,000, depending upon qualifications, and the employee is subject to a six-month probationary period. This is an exempt position.
Schedule / Duration:
The normal working hours for the position are Monday-Friday with rotating weekend duties and some extra weekend/evening hours required for special events, meetings, or other activities necessary to complete the duties of the position. We plan for this to be a permanent position, but at this time we cannot guarantee full funding beyond the fiscal year.
All applicants will get a confirmation email when their complete applications are received. We believe in transparency, communication, and respect so we make every effort to inform all applicants of their status throughout the hiring process.
The first round of interviews will be conducted by phone or video. If invited for a final in-person interview, travel reimbursement will be based on available funds. This position is open until filled.
No phone calls, please. Submit questions to the Executive Director using the email address listed above. Visit our website (http://sweetwatermuseum.org/index.php/about-us/employment) and social media for information about the Museum.
Sweetwater County Historical Museum
3 East Flaming Gorge Way
Green River, Wyoming 82935
There are no other open positions at this time.
Please contact the Public Engagement Coordinator if you are interested in internship or volunteer opportunities.