A digital outreach program of the Sweetwater County Historical Museum
Not all outreach involves face to face interaction. Watch this page for some great learning opportunities provided by the Sweetwater County Historical Museum. Whether you're a teacher looking to supplement your curriculum or a parent looking for something to help your kids learn, we have a variety of offerings. Don't forget to explore our "News & History" section and Facebook page for some great history and images. If you are looking more for research check our "Research" section. You can also check out our YouTube channel as we continue to add great historical content including videos of presentations from previous exhibits and more. Don't forget we also have our more traditional outreach offerings as well, you can find those under the "Learn" tab.
These PDF lesson plans each have an activity and a worksheet, along with some background information. They are all designed to use the PDF itself with minor items that can be found in most homes or classrooms.:
- Twisty Cows: A crafting activity involving two spinning blocks of catte breeds, while designing your own catttle brand.
- Emigrant Trails Activity: A crafting activity involving a cut-and-paste covered wagon. This actiivty packet covers the emigrant trails in the county including the Oregon, Mormon, and California trails.
- Chinese New Year Math: This activity uses math worksheets to help explore the Chinese New Year celebration in Rock Springs in the 1800s. It comes from our Traveling Trunk Program.
More lesson plans coming soon!
You can see a variety of different videos on historical subjects, old exhibits on more on our YouTube channel!
Here are some great VIDEOS from some other great institutions:
- Wyoming PBS: Prohibition
- UWyo extension: Sweetwater County-Counties of Wyoming
- Wyoming's Atlantic Rim Historic Trails
- Smithsonian Channel: Why Wyoming Take's Women's Rights Seriously
Here are some links from other organizations on related subjects, including coloring pages, family activities, and much more:
- Coloring our Collections-this page is full of coloring pages based on the collections of many of the worlds art museums
- Smithsonian Learning Lab-This page is full of resources from the smithsonain involving long distance learning, including lesson plans and other offerings
- South Dakota State Historical Society-This page has lots of lesson plans for education kits that include great worksheets. While not all of the activities can be done without the education kit, many can be.
- Wyohistory.org-This online encyclopedia of Wyoming history includes many great articles including several written by members of our staff.
- History Colorado-This page includes a lot of digital outreach options targeted to Colorado history, including notable Coloradans and digital badges
- UFDC's Baldwin Library of Historical Children's Literature-This page is a digital database full of thousands of 19th and 20th century children's books
- The Digital Collection of the American Heritage Center-This page has a variety of items digitized from the collection of the American Heritage Center
- The Digital Collection of the University of Wyoming-This page has many items digitized from the collection of the University of Wyoming
Museums you can explore from your couch: